ANSTY

Location

Ansty village lies five miles north east of the centre of Coventry, close to the village of Shilton. The hamlet of Woollcombe lies within the parish.  The Oxford canal cuts through the village.

Churches & Religious Buildings

St James C of E parish church.

History

The village name derives from the Saxon anstig, meaning one-path, which is taken to mean a narrow or lonely path or a path linking other paths.  The two footpaths are now major roads.  The village was called Anestie in the Domesday Book of 1086.  There is a joint Domesday entry for Ansty and Foleshill which may also include Exhall – Focheshelle and Ecleshelle.

Ansty lies near to the villages of Shilton, just a mile away, and Barnacle, and the three villages to a large extent enjoy a combined relationship.  There are churches at both Ansty and Shilton but it appears that in periods in the past, services would only be held at one or the other church, not both at the same time.  The relationship would not be unusual except that the boundary between the City/County of Coventry and the County of Warwickshire fell somewhere between the village of Ansty and the village of Shilton and it seems that no-one was quite certain where that boundary was.  Sometimes rates were collected by Coventry and at other times by Warwickshire.  Today Ansty falls within Warwickshire but its local government administration remains confusing as, although it lies only 6 miles from either Coventry or Nuneaton, it falls into Rugby urban district which has its centre some 13 miles away.

The church dates from the 12th century although the spire was a much later addition which was erected to the memory of Major General Adams, who fell at Inkerman during the Crimean War.  The building of the imposing Ansty Hall, (now a hotel) which is on the edge of the village, was begun in 1678 by Richard Taylor, a former Roundhead, and completed by the Adams family in the 18th and 19th centuries.  There was no earlier manor house on the site. Ansty remains a small village with 318 recorded residents in the 2001 census.  Much of the old housing remains.

Diocese Lichfield.
Hundred Hemlingford.
Union Foleshill

Records

Church of England Parish Registers and Bishops' Transcipts
See NNWFHS publication Baptism, Marriage & Burial Records: What is where for the North Warwickshire Church of England Parishes  The pdf version of this booklet is available free online to registered NNWFHS members on the Research Information page via the Members' Pages section (registration required).  Otherwise, to purchase, please visit our Bookshop.
 
International Genealogical Index
The IGI is online at www.familysearch.org  Details of parishes covered by the IGI can be found on Hugh Wallis' Batch Numbers  Most libraries have microform copies of the IGI.  If you find a relevant item indexed, you are strongly advised to view the original register entry for full or additional details; we have identified many instances of marriages recorded on the IGI which are indeed only publication of Banns, and no marriage did in fact take place.
 
Civil Registration 
Ansty was in  Foleshill district  from 1837-1932 and Rugby district from 1932 to 1974.
The article Civil Registration for North Warwickshire Explained, with a list of the Civil and Ecclesiastical Parishes in our area 1837-1974, and the Registration Districts in which they lay at varying times, is available free online to registered NNWFHS members via the Research Resources section of the Members' Pages.  Some entries from the GRO indexes have been made available for online search at FreeBMD.
 
Census Returns
A copy of a census held in 1821 is held at Warwick RO.  1841 to 1911 censuses are available online on various subscription or pay-to-view websites.  Several census years for Warwickshire, along with other data provided by volunteers, are freely available online at Pickard’s Pink Pages.  The 1881 census for whole of British Isles is freely available online at www.familysearch.org.  North Warwickshire Libraries have online access to the census records; some local libraries hold facsimile hard copies for their immediate area.
 
Pictures

For more pictures of Ansty please visit our Photos & Pictures Gallery 

Links

Burials in St James Churchyard
Warwickshire Communities -Ansty
Victoria County History from British History Online
Genuki
Pickard’s Pink Pages
Familysearch
Hugh Wallis' Batch Numbers
FreeBMD
Warwickshire Registration Services
NNWFHS Photos & Pictures Gallery

© Copyright NNWFHS 1998/2009

Return to Towns Map

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of this site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our privacy policy.

  I accept cookies from this site.
EU Cookie Directive Module Information